Thanksgiving Injury Prevention
November 23, 2016
Unfortunately, Thanksgiving is also a prime time for some not-so-pleasant injuries. Don’t let an accident sideline your holiday. Stay injury free with these smart prevention tips.
Football falls. We all turn into weekend warriors when it’s time for some backyard football. But if we aren’t careful, we can wind up right back on the bench. To prevent injury during your family football game:
- Warm up a bit first. Loosen stiff muscles, and stretch before jumping into the game.
- Stick to touch or flag, rather than tackle.
- Try and schedule the game before any type of alcohol consumption.
- If you get injured, stop playing, rest and tend to your injury.
Kitchen accidents. Too many cooks in the kitchen this Thanksgiving can translate into some scary injuries if you aren’t careful. Stay safe by:
- Keeping all cutlery, hot dishes, and pots and pans away from little hands and fingers.
- Never leave food unattended on the stove or in the oven, or when frying or grilling.
- Never douse grease fires with water; smother the flames instead after turning off the burner.
- Keep a working fire extinguisher nearby at all time.
- Never cover pans or dishes on the stove with glass lids — they can explode from the heat.
Turkey traumas. Whether you’re baking, carving, or deep-frying, handling your turkey with care is a good way to keep everyone safe this Thanksgiving.
- Practice knife safety — never carve a turkey while distracted; never carve a turkey with a dull knife; leave the carving to someone comfortable with the task.
- Never leave a deep fryer unattended, and make sure small children stand back from the fryer.
- Never manage a deep fryer while wearing loose-fitting clothes.
- Use precaution when removing a turkey from the oven.
Alcohol safety. Thanksgiving is one of the most dangerous holidays for road travel, thanks in part to increased alcohol consumption. Always remember to never drink and drive, and encourage friends and family to do the same.
Happy Thanksgiving from the Sovereign Rehabilitation family to yours!
Posted on behalf of Sovereign Rehabilitation
Circle Us on Google+
5555 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd, Suite 225
Atlanta, GA 30342
Phone: (404) 835-3340