Ergonomics is a field of study that looks at how work spaces are designed. An ergonomic work area can increase efficiency, but more importantly it helps reduce or eliminate the risk of musculoskeletal pain from conditions such as carpal tunnel, tendonitis, neck tension or back aches that can occur when we sit at our desk incorrectly for 8 or more hours a day.
These tips can help ensure that you have a more ergonomic, pain-free space to work:
- Keep your monitor at eye level – this helps to reduce neck strain from having to tilt your head up or down for extended periods of time
- The monitor should be placed directly in front of you, and just arm’s reach away
- Keep your keyboard and mouse shoulder length apart and on as level a surface as possible
- Your keyboard should be positioned directly in front of you at a distance that doesn’t require you to reach, lean, or strain. Hands and wrists should be straight.
- Make sure your chair is comfortable with enough cushion to support your hips and lower back
- Your chair should have arm rests that are low enough that your shoulders can remain relaxed when you aren’t typing. Your arms should sit at roughly a 90-degree angle.
- Adjust the height of the chair so that your arms are level with the desk, and your feet are flat on the floor
- The back of the seat should be reclined slightly back, but not so far back that you have to strain to reach your keyboard or mouse
It’s also important to take 1-2 minute breaks for every 30 minutes of work. Get up, stretch, and talk a short walk around the office. After each hour, take a quick 5-minute break. Make sure you’re also looking up and away from your screen periodically to help reduce eye strain (this can be as simple as looking at a point a few feet away from you).
Sovereign Rehabilitation offers work and office space ergonomic assessments and analysis to help you determine if your workspace is best designed for your comfort and productivity. Give us a call today to learn more about how we can make work feel better.
Posted on behalf of Sovereign Rehabilitation
Circle Us on Google+
5555 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd, Suite 225
Atlanta, GA 30342
Phone: (404) 835-3340