You’re pregnant! Congratulations. Having a baby is one the biggest miracles you will experience in your life. There’s noting more exhilarating knowing that you have a baby growing inside of you. It’s a beautiful thing. However, along with that growth happening in your womb, there is often pain associated with it. You are not alone in your pain. Most pregnant women experience back pain, usually starting in the second half of pregnancy.
There are many possible reasons why you may be experiencing back pains while you are pregnant.
- Weight Gain – During a healthy pregnancy, women typically gain between 25 and 35 pounds. The spine has to support that weight, and this can cause lower back pain. The weight of the growing baby and uterus also puts pressure on the blood vessels and nerves in the pelvis and back.
- Posture Changes – During your pregnancy you may gradually being to adjust your posture due to the gradual shift of your center of gravity.
- Hormone Changes – During pregnancy, your body makes a hormone called relaxin that allows ligaments in the pelvic area to relax and the joints to become looser in preparation for the birth process. This hormone can also cause ligaments that support the spine to loosen, leading to instability and pain.
- Muscle Separation – As the uterus expands, two parallel sheets of muscles run from the rib cage to the pubic bone, may separate along the center seam causing back pain.
- Stress – Emotional tensions can cause muscle tension as well.
There is good news for you if you are pregnant and experiencing back pain. Our specialists at Sovereign Rehabilitation are experienced in pregnancy services. We look forward to serving you during this very important time in your life.
Posted on behalf of Sovereign Rehabilitation
5555 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd, Suite 225
Atlanta, GA 30342
Phone: (404) 835-3340