According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), drowning is the leading cause of injury death for kids ages 1 to 4, and the fifth leading cause of death for people of of all ages.
And that’s not all. Pools can also be the sites of dangerous slips and falls from wet surfaces, cuts and scrapes from glass, and muscle and joint sprains and strains from overuse, diving or jumping into the water.
Don’t let a swimming pool injury sideline your family fun this summer. Stay safe by:
- Keeping an eye on the kiddos at all times. It only takes a couple seconds for a child to slip and fall, or for something much worse to happen – that’s less than the amount of time it can take to check a text message or flip a couple of pages in a book or magazine.
- Opting for plastic cups and containers and keeping glass away from swimming areas. This helps prevents dangerous cuts and scrapes.
- Practicing good form when diving, and jumping into the pool only off of designated areas. Don’t strain your body to dive too far out, and go easy on your knees when bouncing off the diving board.
- Making sure kids use proper safety devices when swimming in the water.
- Not relying on the lifeguard. It’s great to have a safety expert nearby, but they can’t always see quick slips – especially with children. It’s up to you to keep your child safe.
- Keeping an eye out for drains or filter systems with suction.
If you do experience a summer swimming sprain or strain, call the experts at Sovereign Rehabilitation. Our team can help craft a recovery program unique to you so you can get back to summer activities you love.
Call any one of our metro area offices today to learn more about our aquatic rehabilitation programs today!
Posted on behalf of Sovereign Rehabilitation
5555 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd, Suite 225
Atlanta, GA 30342
Phone: (404) 835-3340