Sovereign Rehabilitation is pleased to offer expert osteoporosis rehabilitation treatment to women in Atlanta and the surrounding areas. We are a comprehensive provider of physical therapy and rehabilitation services with offices located conveniently throughout the Atlanta area. Our locations feature licensed physical or occupational therapists with specialized training in the treatment and rehabilitation of women’s health issues, including osteoporosis.
If you are in need of rehabilitation therapy to treat your osteoporosis, you can turn to the dedicated professionals from Sovereign Rehabilitation. Osteoporosis (brittle bones) is a condition that occurs when not enough bone is being built, or too much is broken down. The bones become brittle and break more easily. More than 25 million Americans have osteoporosis, and as a result, approximately 250,000 hip fractures (three times more common in women than in men) occur every year. Spinal fractures occur in one-third of women over age 50, due to osteoporosis.
The risk factors for osteoporosis include the following:
- Family history (blood relative with the disease)
- Age (older adults have increased risk)
- Gender (women are at greater risk)
- Race (Asians and Caucasians have an increased risk)
- Diet and exercise are factors within the individual’s control
As a part of a comprehensive osteoporosis rehabilitation program, our specially trained therapists may employ the following physical therapy interventions:
- Instruction in posture correction and body mechanics to protect the spine
- Instruction in bed mobility and transfer techniques
- Exercises to strengthen the postural muscles, legs, hips, and back
- Exercises to improve balance and walking ability
- Instruction in fall-prevention at home
- Fitting of a back brace, if indicated
The goal of treatment is to improve the quality of life of patients with osteoporosis and prevent future fractures.
Effective Treatment For Osteoporosis
If you are looking for effective rehabilitation treatment for osteoporosis, please contact our Atlanta Osteoporosis Treatment Specialists or call one of our area locations today to schedule an appointment. We look forward to helping you live your best life!